
On Thursday, I checked on my company's web stats - part of my daily routine. The banner ads on the website made me uncomfortable and then upset. It was too much. I decided to write the web stats company a letter. I didn't know if I would get any sort of response, but I knew that I should at least try. Here is the letter that I sent:
"Our company has been using StatCounter for almost a year, and I check this website numerous times every business day - as I'm sure you could prove. It is a great program; we love how intuitively it operates, and how seamlessly it works in our website. However, the banner ads used in this program are so offensive that our company is seriously considering switching to a new service. Today, you allowed an ad with a topless woman. This is NOT professional, and as a professional, I do not want to be subjugated to that kind of filth on the job. Prior to this ad, I have been confronted with several ads with low cut shirts, way too much cleavage, and tacky ads of women in underwear advertising weight loss. Again, as this is highly unprofessional, and because there are plenty of other companies that do exactly what your are offering here, our company will most certainly find a different provider if the banner ads aren't cleaned up. Again, we like your services, but we will not stand this type of filth in our office."
Within 30 minutes of my letter submittal, I had a response. Their representative apologized and agreed that the ads weren't professional. He gave me detailed instructions on how to report inappropriate ads and since I've turned this one in, I haven't seen it--or one like it--on the site.
It's important to speak out when you find something that crosses the line. This ad will not show anymore on this particular site, and I'm grateful that no one else who daily checks their web stats will have to see the filth that I reported. I was a little hesitant to send in my complaint, but I'm really glad that I did!
4 comments:
You go girl! That's awesome!
Way to go Melissa! /Joanie
I'm impressed by your courage! It's one thing to think about what you would like to do, but quite another to put it into action. I don't always follow through on what I am thinking or what I put into words. I lack consistency which can sometimes lead to hypocrisy. Thanks for your example!
Thanks! I'm still learning to stand up to stuff like that - I don't always speak up. But especially when I've got nothing to loose, it's so good to say something!
Post a Comment