Wednesday, February 3, 2010

With Every Breath

Tic.  Tic.  Tic.  Tic.  Time presses forward, and I can honestly say that I do not begrudge it.  Tomorrow is my birthday, marking 25 years.  Before each birthday, I have a personal tradition of celebrating the year that is fading into the past.  Here's a moment of reflection for the love of 24.

By Land, Sea, and Sky.  I have a very lucky situation - plenty of opportunity to travel, and an employer that's okay with it.  In the last year, I went to several Gulf Islands with Ritchie including:  Gabriola, Pender, Salt Spring, and Galliano.  I was also fortunate to go home to Tennessee in May and again in November.  At the end of the summer Ritchie and I road tripped for three weeks all along the West coast, and back through Vegas, Utah, and Portland on the way home.  Besides Tennessee in November, I also visited family and friends in Utah.  Within the week of returning to Victoria, I flew out again--this time with Ritchie and his parents to Hawaii!  We stayed on the Big Island and Oahu.  By Christmas, I was happy to stay home in Victoria and enjoy family that came here.  Traveling so much in 24 makes me appreciate my ability to do so - health, financial, and otherwise.  I've been free to go, and it's been eye opening, refreshing, and so much fun!


Working It. As fun as vacation was, and as often as I went, the vast majority of 24 was spent in the office.  It's time well spent--I like my setup there.  I work at ITEM Ltd., a leader in the traffic safety industry that specializes in pedestrian and bicycle safety products, intelligent transportation systems, environmental sensors, and associated components, such as beacons, LED enhanced signs, etc.  Okay, can you tell that I'm the marketing girl?  I manage the website, http://www.itemltd.com/ shipping, and whatever else needs to be done.  I work primarily with two women - Steph, the CEO, and Heather, the bookkeeper.  For how much of 24 was spent here at ITEM Ltd., I'm very grateful that Steph and Heather are my friends, and that the commute take about 8 minutes from my house.

Growth.  24 has shown me how much I grow - socially, spiritually, and even academically.  Ritchie and I have been taking advantage of the library system in Victoria, checking out good audio books and History Channel dvds all year long.  It's been fun brushing up on our ancient civilization knowledge, and we've loved discovering the Chronicles of Narnia through our audio endeavors.  I've been studying the Old Testament most of this year, too, and love the richness of the text, and the way that I've come to understand the gospel and the Creator better.  I've also had a good year in 24 directing 1st Ward Choir.  They are a dynamic group - you really never know what you'll get at any given rehersal, but by the time we sing in sacrament meeting, it's usually a wonderfully rewarding experience.  24 has given me some interesting times serving in Young Womens as second counselor.  Teenage girls are so variable - they are constantly changing; it's been a unique and good challenge working with them.  I've made better friends here in Victoria, and watched as my state-side friends get married, have babies, and keep in touch.  I've become so much closer to Ritchie this year, too.  Being married to him is incredible; I realize that more every day of 24.  All things considered, I'm amazed to stand on the other end of 24 and realize how much I've grown.

24 has been a good year.  As 25 comes tomorrow, I have a heart full of gratitude to Heavenly Father for every breath that He lends.  And with every breath, life moves forward and I realize what a blessing that is.

2 comments:

Carmell said...

Happy Birthday Melissa,
I'm glad that we got to spend at least a little of your 24 time with you! I'm sure your great attitude will make 25 be a great year too! Glad you are blogging, it's fun to see a glimpse what you guys are up to!

Bridget said...

Congratulations on a great year! 25 will be even better. I didn't realize that you were in the traffic safety industry. Cool.

Post a Comment