Top Reasons Why Living in Victoria Rocks:
1.) Statistically the warmest city in Canada. It's January and I haven't worn a heavy coat in weeks! The fact that Victoria is classified as a cool summer Mediterranean Climate = blissful.
2.) Amazing scenery. Victoria is a beautiful island with incredible architecture, rocky coastlines, and stunning forests of evergreens. See photos I've taken above.
3.) Rich History. This island was discovered by Captain James Cook himself in the 1700s when it was inhabited by natives. It has remained a strategic naval fort and trading post since the 1800s. Seeing the city's importance, Queen Victoria (1819-1901) had a hand in the city becoming the provincial capital of British Columbia in 1871. I love learning about Victoria's diverse past.
4.) Cultural Diversity. I'm living in another country! I'm grateful that Canada is very similar to the US, but I enjoy the differences, too. Before I continue, I want to point out that my blood will forever run red, white, and blue. However - like a lot of returned missionaries that I know - I love living in another country and learning about the things that make us different. (For instance, Canadians pronouce and spell a lot of words the British way: colour, centre, neighbour, labour, favour, grey, etc. I'll be honest, I still prefer the American spelling most of the time!) I really love Canada and the people that live here.
5.) Island Living. Because Victoria is built on the tip of Vancouver Island, there's not a lot of room to expand, which is a blessing and a curse. Curse because housing pricings are crazy expensive, and blessing because you can just about walk to anywhere you'd like to go. (Let me also mention that driving from bottom to top of Vancouver island takes about 6 hours, so it's not really that small - just in the City of Victoria, you're able to get around quickly.)
No comments:
Post a Comment