When I was engaged and a newlywed, many people, both close
and barely acquainted gave me heart-felt, true-to-them advice and offered
their “sage wisdom” on what marriage is.
I listened. I really wanted to
know what my marriage would be like. I
appreciated hearing what I was told. A
good portion of it was helpful on my journey, but most of it was not true for
me. It was their own testimony, from
their own experiences.
This is my unique perspective; my own testimony of
marriage. I’m sharing it because most of
what I heard about marriage was not
from this perspective. No one told me
that marriage would be a walk in the park.
No one except my mother-in-law. I
thought she was just really really
sugar coating it for me because it was just a few weeks before my marriage, and
she could see that Ritchie and I were both feeling a little jittery. I have since come to know that what she told
me was the actual, beautiful truth of her marriage, and has come to be very
significant in my own. This is my “sage
wisdom” from a lofty 5 ½ years of marriage.
Take it for what it is – a knowledge that I’ve gained from my marriage experience
– first hand, as unique as the individuals that make up the union.
Marriage is easy.
Being married is NOT hard.
I repeat, IT IS EASY. It was from
the very, very beginning. So many good
individuals told me otherwise, but that was their story. I married a man that dated me for 1.5
years. We were long distance for most of
it, which meant we fell in love with each other’s souls before we fell in love
with each other’s faces. We were best
friends, knowing each other very well, respecting and obeying dating guidelines from our church when we tied the knot, which I think
helped to make it so easy. On our first
year anniversary, we met a woman who congratulated us on hitting the one year
mark. She said, “You know, the first
year is the very hardest.” We puzzled
over it. The first year was
blissful! If that was the hardest year
of marriage, wow, were we ever in for a happily ever after! I just don’t understand how marriage is
hard. At least, not in the 5 ½ years and
two kids that I have to show for it.
Life is hard. Marriage does not have to be hard. From the wisdom of 50 years of marriage, my
mother-in-law told me marriage was easy.
She has seen sickness, sorrow, death, seven children, 30-something
grandchildren, and now great-grandchildren that are coming in droves. That is a whole lot of life experience. She believes that marriage is easy. I do too.
Marriage is safe.
As humans, we learn to guard ourselves from
over-exposure. We don’t want our hearts
to get flung out in the cold world to be trampled on. Or taken in a dark room to be quietly stabbed. We protect ourselves. And it’s a good thing that we do! But in my testimony of marriage, I know that
it is a place that my heart is completely safe.
I am safe. From the first day of
marriage, Ritchie and I took a leap of trust, and found that it was
rewarded. As the days went by, it was
still safe. Weeks, and years added
layers of protection. We know that we
are safe. I am not ashamed or worried to
be myself and to have myself known. It
is honest. It is open. It is safe.
The more I know about him, the deeper I understand and love him. I guess that’s what intimacy is. It is just between us. We are a team that is committed and
loyal. My heart breaks wide open for
individuals who have their sacred trust compromised in marriage. That is not what our Heavenly Father intended
for marriage. In a spirit of solemn gratitude,
I can say that my testimony of marriage is that it is safe.
Marriage is fun.
Again, the sage advice of others told me that marriage was
work. Work? Being a mom is a lot of work. Going to the job is work. Serving in callings at church is work. Exercise is work. Those things also are very rewarding and fun,
but they are work. I just can’t say that
marriage is work. Sorry, but I can’t. When Ritchie gets home in the evening, it’s
pretty much always my favorite time of day.
There’s nothing like setting out on a road trip adventure with him; it’s
so fun to have the time together! My
favourite part of Christmas this past year was that Ritchie took extra days off
of work. Being together is fun. We love to do our life work beside each
other. We have so much fun going on
simple dates. Developing our marriage
has been a blast!
This is my story. I’m
throwing it out there to shed some colour on the grim picture so many others
paint of the word “marriage”. I’m not condemning
them for doing it. My heart breaks that
it is their story. But like I said, this
is my testimony of my short experience thus far. I hope that if you are searching for a
companion, and you have heard or experienced the grim of marriage, that this
lends you hope. It is not a farce. I’m not pretending. This is my testimony. It is what I both believe and know. Marriage is easy, safe and fun. Call me naïve – I probably am – but I also
trust in Ritchie’s mom, and I know that she is not.
I will leave you with this thought from Elder Bruce R.
McKonkie. “The most important single thing that any Latter-day Saint
ever does in this world is to marry the right person, in the right place, by
the right authority.”
I feel like my marriage started that way.
I love what has grown since then.
2 comments:
You know Melissa, I feel exactly the same way as you. I also hear the comments "marriage is hard work" and I wonder what they're talking about. Marriage is not hard! I totally feel that my marriage has been super easy and after 35 years and five children we are still each other's best friend. I can't imagine my life any better than it has been with my "best friend" and I wholeheartedly agree that marriage is easy! Wouldn't trade any of the last 35 years for anything! Here's to another 35 years for us and I'm betting I'll feel the same way then!
My mother always told me that you either marry or give birth to your biggest trials.
Post a Comment