Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Running Into my Wake-up Call

A week and a half ago was a perfectly beautiful May Saturday.  The type of day where the sun rose early and warm, and offered breezes still cool enough to entice me to want to stay outside all day.  It was laundry day, meaning that I took our four loads over to Ritchie's parents' house - they spoil us to no end - and used their wash facilities.

While the clothes were in a cycle, I put on my running shoes, hooked up my ipod, and took to the pavement.  A beautiful wood chip trail is close by my in-laws' house - a favorite run of mine.  I breathed deeply, excited to feel the road fly under my feet; my legs were so ready for the workout.  After a mighty four or five steps I had the sudden urge to pee.  What?  I knew I didn't need to go to the bathroom yet.  I continued on, trying to ignore the nagging sensation until I reached a rec centre about 10 minutes later.  After tending to my little call of nature, I was back on my feet, now at the wood chip trail.  I just couldn't do it.  Talk about an awkward way to run!  I instantly felt like I needed a bathroom again, besides the rather bulky lump in my midsection.

Hm.  Maybe running four months pregnant isn't the best approach.  My heroic run turned into a fast walking pace, intermingled with a rather lame jogging step.  I couldn't help but laugh at myself a little with my round belly and pathetic attempt at running.  It was still very satisfying to be outdoors and to soak in the beautiful sunshine, lush flower gardens, and fresh air...and even nice to get some exercise, but not exactly what I had in mind from the onset.  Well, here's to the next 4.5 months of getting even bigger and more awkward on my feet!  At least I know it's for a good cause...the best cause, actually.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

I did step aerobics while pregnant with Jocelyn and was okay with everything until we did jumping jacks. Then I had the same issue you're having. You can definitely exercise all pregnancy long. It's just that you have to find something that works for you and your bladder.

Jenni said...

I ran until about 6 months pregnant...then I accepted speed walking. Do what you can while you can!

Post a Comment