Thursday, July 1, 2010

National Pride

O Canada.  America the Beautiful.  I've been around and around this issue, and I think I've come to a happy place at last. 

Last Sunday I directed the ward choir in singing "O Canada".  The first verse was in French, which was quite a feat for me, having a little language background in German and Spanish...certainly different from French!  But I studied it, listened for pronunciation LOTS from a YouTube video, and finally taught the choir to sing it right, too.  We also sang a few extra verses, and then I turned to direct the full congregation to lead out in singing the well loved first verse of the national anthem in English.  Most of my alto section were fighting back tears and many members of the congregation were singing with all their hearts, beating red and white.  It was a moving experience for all of us!  I found it hard in spots to keep my voice under control, too. 

There is something absolutely divine about a national anthem.  To love one's country and to stand by it is a noble, beautiful thing.  And where do I stand?  I'm an American immigrant in Canada, and I love them both!  How could I ever deny that my own heart beats red white and blue...but I include Canada in some of that red and white part.  Is it wrong to feel national pride for both?  I love it that I am an American, and that I can salute stars and stripes, and at the same time, I plan to be a dual citizen someday.  I would be foolish to shun one or the other, considering that my marriage and all my children will always be a blend of both countries. 

So in celebration of Canada Day today and Independence Day on Sunday, I want to have one post dedicated to both countries, given in acceptance and love of my new home in Canada and my homeland, the United States.

3 comments:

Jodi Gallagher said...

I'm so excited you guys have a blog! So fun seeing what you guys are up to. I wish everyone in the family had a blog. Do you get yours printed?

Joanie said...

Beautiful! Well said.

Em said...

Oh Melissa you are so genuine and sincere, it's hard not to connect with your writing! I love your blog, it's a wonderful read.

Post a Comment