Long, flexible days. Do-whatever-you-want FINALLY days. No one begrudges you for not going to work anymore – hey, you’ve earned it by putting in your time and struggle earlier. If you want to spend half the morning chatting with your friends, it’s fully acceptable now. It’s so different from being unemployed. You still have a little money coming in for the duration – not like you used to make, but it’s great to be paid to sit at home or go out and play.
And not that you should indulge in it, but people understand if you complain about your various body aches, if you find it hard to race up the stairs the way you once could, and even sitting or standing occurs with a bit of difficultly now. You don’t really have the spry, straight physique that you once boasted of, but you’re still proud of your body for getting you this far. You’re paying more visits to your caregiver these days, but it’s worth it to hear advice on the best way to cope. An afternoon nap isn’t lazy, it’s necessary because you just can’t go the way you used to. But oh, it still feels just as wonderful to be able to sleep in the middle of the day...Especially after you’ve done your daily low-impact exercise – at about half the speed that you used to.
So my retirement period will be short-lived, but I can’t help but enjoy this phase of life as a “stay at home mom” without any kids! And with only 8 or 9 days until I'm due to deliver, I can't feel bad for not going to work. Spending a large part of my day with my retired in-laws yesterday reminded me of how good a break from the work-a-day week can really be. And don’t get me wrong, they still are very productive, painting the steps, tending to the garden, etc. And so am I – I’ve been busy doing all my baby laundry, registering at various stores around town, packing my bags for the hospital, and preparing all sorts of meals for the freezer for after the baby comes. But, it’s all flex time, and I get things done as I feel I have the energy for it.
Maternity leave or retirement. Both are a wonderful break from reality, and even though I’m getting tired of my large, awkward body, I’ll do the best I can with the time I’ve been given...and enjoy it as I go.
3 comments:
I can't believe you only have 8 days left till your due!
wow coming up soon! you look wonderful! enjoy retirement! then enjoy motherhood :)
I know what you mean about having trouble going up the stairs. I like to collect all the stuff that needs to go upstairs (mostly toys and shoes) and save it all for one trip or just bribe the kids to take it up there with M & Ms
Post a Comment