Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Can I Hold Your Baby?

The question that invokes fear in the heart of a new mother.  "Can I hold your baby?"

I feel like asking the questioner my own series of inquiries.  When was the last time you washed your hands?  Do you have a cold?  If I hand over my baby, will you put your face in his, touch his hands, or kiss his face?  Okay, so my questions if asked, would be rude, if not totally paranoid.  But can I help it that when someone asks to hold Cameron I feel like they've asked to take something intimate from me?  I feel like they want me to give them a big bear hug or something.

I understand that lots of people consider themselves "baby people" meaning that they just LOVE to hold other people's children and many of them feel a legitimate right to hold just about anyone's child because they have that "magic touch" that soothes and calms a little one.  But to a first time mom, it's scary to let my little guy leave my arms, and most of the time I feel a little uneasy until he's back in my care.

In conclusion, I'd like to say that not everyone gives me the chills.  I feel comfortable with people holding Cameron by varying degrees - my mom, for instance, has full liberty to hold my baby whenever she pleases.  I'm happy to let most of my friends and relatives hold him, too - when they're healthy.  But, random guy at church, PLEASE be considerate of a new mom's feelings and don't consider it your right to hold Cameron every time you see me.  That's all I ask.

5 comments:

Shayna.Bowman said...

Hahaha, I can totally see myself being this way when I have kids! You make some good points, new mom. ;-)

Sharley said...

The beauty of the being The Mom---you have every right to say No, or ask each and everyone of those questions. You even have the Duty to say: Dont Touch His Face or Hands and dont kiss him! Especially in this winter season. People should understand. They just may not be aware of such simple things--babies can get sick and Very sick from simple things. So Dont feel bad by kindly telling people so or saying no to letting them hold him. It's in your Job description to protect your little one :) As he gets older that can change, but he is still so little now.

Anonymous said...

Wow! It's amazing how old we have gotten that you both have a baby and have these thoughts. I can't wait to see you and meet little Cameron...I'll just ask now...am I going to be able to hold him in 2 weeks? :) LOL

Brittany Lewis said...

I know what you mean! I was so nervous during Thanksgiving when my cousins and everyone wanted to hold Connor--the whole time I was worried that they weren't holding him right or that he might get sick. I guess it's normal to be so protective of our babies!

Men's Trauma Center said...

I"m right there with you. It drives me crazy when people always touch Caleb's hands when they see him. Now I cover them up when I see people coming towards him. He has been so sick so now I'm at the point where I have no problem asking people if they are sick.

Post a Comment